Know What to do if Your Car Overheats
Here at Bob Howard Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM, we’re always looking out for you when it comes to vehicle care. One thing we hope you never experience is vehicle overheating, but if that does happen being prepared is the key. So how do you know, what do you do and how can you prevent it? Here’s how.
How Do You Know Your Car is Overheating?
- The check engine light comes on
- The temperature gauge rises above the normal levels
- You have reduced power
- You smell a funny odor coming from your car
- You see steam coming from under the hood
What Causes Your Car to Overheat?
- You might have low coolant levels
- There might be a coolant leak
- You have a bad water pump in your vehicle
- There’s an issue with the thermostat
What Do You Do When Your Car Overheats?
- Make sure to pull over to a safe space on the road if you’re experiencing any of the signs of overheating and turn the engine and air conditioning off
- Open the hood to allow the engine to cool, but don’t touch it because it will be hot
- Contact our service center and schedule service for your vehicle
How Can I Prevent Cooling
- Always make sure your coolant levels are topped off when necessary during auto service
- Check your hoses in your vehicle for leaks and cracks
To learn more, feel free to contact our service center and schedule an appointment, as we’d be happy to help you here in Oklahoma City today.